POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bamboo test 1. : Re: Bamboo test 1. Server Time
19 Aug 2024 16:16:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bamboo test 1.
From: Bob H
Date: 12 Dec 2000 02:47:27
Message: <3a35d80f@news.povray.org>
"Greg M. Johnson" <gre### [at] my-dejanewscom> wrote in message

> This doesn't quite convey the structure I'm used to seeing.
>   http://www.artmarquetry.com/gallery/mretter/mr-p07.html
> is much closer.
>
> I saw a lot of wild bamboo growing up in Virginia in the US of all places   .
. .

Maybe this is better, less curvature, I went about tweaking on the script code
by Sigmund.  Added a color gradient pattern.

$R=3;
$Segment_curve=.2;
$Segment_length=5;
isosurface {
    function {
sqrt((Segment_curve/4)*cos(y*1.5/Segment_length)/.15)+(x^2+z^2)-R*(1-y*.005)}
    accuracy 0.001
    contained_by{box{-<R,50,R>,<R,50,R>}}
    pigment {gradient y color_map {
        [.05 color rgb <.35,.55,.35>]
        [.1 color rgb <.4,.75,.55>]
        } scallop_wave translate .49*y scale Segment_length*2.1
    }
    finish {diffuse .7 phong 0.5 phong_size 10}
}

I too have seen bamboo around here, from fishing poles to the living stuff, and
it can vary a lot I guess depending on where and what species it is.  Although
it always has the same segmentation characteristic of course.
The kind growing around here in northern Alabama US seems to like hillsides.  I
always think of bamboo as a swamp plant though but I can't ever recall seeing
any in swamps.
Here's a picture gallery of bamboo: http://www.lewisbamboo.com/plants.html