POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: preview of deform patch (53 kbu) : Re: preview of deform patch (53 kbu) Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:17:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: preview of deform patch (53 kbu)
From: Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba
Date: 11 Dec 2000 14:39:10
Message: <3a352d5e$1@news.povray.org>
Chris Huff wrote in message ...
> I think a much more intuitive syntax would be:
> deform {
>    DEFORMED_OBJECT
>    deformation {WARP}
>    DEFORM_PARAMETERS
>    OBJECT_MODIFIERS
> }

yes, good suggestion, thanks

> I would also use "weighted_normals" or "weight_normals" instead of
> "normal_weighted"

why ? this groups parameters for normal calculation ?

> "twist" instead of "turn"

yes, I thought of it, this is hardly to choose english equvalent by
non-natural-english-speak-man
:-)

> and a few other little changes

write, please

> If the object has a texture, it is deformed along with the
> object. If a texture is given in the deform{} block, it isn't deformed.

yes, this is part of my conception
even further - layered textures mixed from deformation and base object!

> deform {
>  sphere {...}
>  deformation {turbulence 0.5}
>  accuracy 0.01
>  normal_accuracy 4, 0.001
>  weighted_normals on|true|yes|off|false|no
> }

what about deformations where they are good described only in part of space ?
turbulence and twist is calculable in evry point but what about placing along
spline ?

> Also, I don't know how your deformations work, but it would make sense
> to use the warps to do the job, since you are really just warping an
> object instead of a pattern. If you do this, you can avoid a lot of
> duplicated work by implementing a single warp.

I consider it

> The equivalent code for what you wrote with my suggested syntax would be:
> deform {
>    box {-1, 1 texture {Texture}}
>    type {twist y, 8}// twist AXIS, TWISTS_PER_UNIT_DISTANCE
>    accuracy 0.05
>    normal_accuracy 3, 0.01
>    weighted_normals
> }

thanks, evening, going to daughter and wife I'll consider

ABX