POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Guidelines : Re: Guidelines Server Time
20 Jul 2024 19:27:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Guidelines
From: Warp
Date: 11 Dec 2000 10:52:16
Message: <3a34f830@news.povray.org>
Remco de Korte <rem### [at] onwijscom> wrote:
:>   Not true. MacOS was the first operating system which made computers
:> accessible to the masses.

: Hm, I was also thinking about a Commodore, Spectrum or MSX (or similar).

  Commodore, Spectrum and MSX didn't have easy-to-use graphical user
interfaces. MacOS does. I don't know about AmigaOS.

:>   And even if we say that, we have to admit that Windows is a big step
:> backwards in versatility and stability.

: Compared to what?

  To Unix, what else?
  Windows is still incapable of making things that unix was able to do
in the 70's. Not even Windows NT (although NT is a lot better in this matter).

:> It doesn't
:> offer you any good tools for making anything advanced.

: Bwaahaa!

  Why do you laugh?
  It doesn't even offer tools for simple things.
  For example, suppose that I want to replace a string in every .txt file
with another string.
  In unix? One simple command. In Windows? I don't know how you can do it
(without using external programs). Perhaps you can, but I don't know how.

: Now that's a very important thing! Handling a guestbook in 10 lines!

  You are sticking to details.
  The important part was not the 10 lines. The important part was that you
can make it easily with a short code. You don't need specialized 3rd party
tools nor 3rd party compilers for that. There are more than enough tools
in unix itself to do this. That's the point.

: (but still get quite small programs)

  I wasn't talking about the size of the program. I was talking about how
easy it is to do it with the tools offered by the OS.
  Please understand what I'm talking about and don't stick to details.

: This way you can do much more then handle a guestbook entry, with a program that
: will perhaps have a couple of hundred lines of visible code (and thousands you
: don't need to bother about) while you only have to do a few mouseclicks and
: enter a handful parameters.

  But that's the whole point.
  You need to make quite a lot of work to get a simple program. You need a
3rd party compiler and you have to make a several hundreds of lines long
program for making something that is very simple and limited.
  What if you want to modify the program afterwards? You'll have to go to
the source code, modify it and recompile. Quite a lot of trouble.

: (PS I've put the follow-up to off-topic so this'll be my last contribution in
: this part of the thread)

povray.binaries.off-topic? Is that a new group I'm not aware of?