POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bamboo test 1. : Re: Bamboo test 1. Server Time
19 Aug 2024 10:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bamboo test 1.
From: Bob H
Date: 11 Dec 2000 04:02:09
Message: <3a349811$1@news.povray.org>
"Rob Verweij" <rg.### [at] worldonlinenl> wrote in message
> I have some difficulties on deciding what the best way of "modeling" is for
> the segments. Texturing them is easy but "modeling" them isn't (well at least
> for me it isn't). I thought I could do it by using a gradient bump map but
> that doesn't look realistic. Well back to the drawingboard to figure out a
way
> to do the segments.

After seeing this thread on bamboo I thought I'd try it using some made-up
function in a isosurface.
I got as far as an undulating shape but nothing like actual bamboo so I moved
on to a simple CSG of cylinders and tori and that was better.  Then came the
while loop scaling and translating, no good yet.  And even if I ever get it
about right it would never have the imperfections of real bamboo as I was
hoping for by doing a isosurface of it.
I went so far as to try searching out a equation of such a shape... without any
luck of course.

Bob H.