POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Another guideline question : Re: Another guideline question Server Time
20 Jul 2024 11:30:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another guideline question
From: Mark Wagner
Date: 11 Dec 2000 02:03:25
Message: <3a347c3d@news.povray.org>
Matt Giwer wrote in message <3A330F72.D4A53D34@ij.net>...
>Rune wrote:
>>
>> Which format and codec should I use if I want a reasonable good
>> compression/quality and I want as many as possible to be able to see my
>> animations, just like that, without having to download a new codec?
>
> From some modest experimentation NOT EXHAUSTIVE I find MPEG-1 to be
>about the size of the sum of the jpeg versions of the frames regardless
>of the format created. I tested that by creating mpegs with the original
>and the jpeg converted format. While not exhaustive that should address
>the compression issue. I can not find any option in mpeg-1 to control
>the compression but I make no claim to expertise in it.

From my rather exhaustive experiments, I have found that you can get a very
wide range of sizes for your output file.  I've gotten compression ranges
between 20:1 and 500:1 with different settings for the same animation.
Quality is in direct proportion to the compression ratio.

I recommend using the Berkley MPEG encoder.  It takes a bit of work to use,
but gives you the most control over the output.
--
Mark

"The derivative of sin(2x) is cos(2x)"  - Matt Giwer
"I never said that" - Matt Giwer
"I completely agree a flywheel can store a million times more energy if its
rotational velocity is measured in microradians instead of radians." - Matt
Giwer