POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Guidelines : Re: Guidelines Server Time
20 Jul 2024 19:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Guidelines
From: Warp
Date: 10 Dec 2000 10:23:13
Message: <3a339fe1@news.povray.org>
Rick [Kitty5] <ric### [at] kitty5com> wrote:
: what would you suggest?, we all go linux and back to the days of a GUI
: sitting on top of a command line OS?

  You clearly have no idea what Unix is.

  Unix is not a command line OS. Unix is not a graphical OS.
  The Unix operating system is a core which handles several things an operating
system has to handle (like processes, resources, memory and so on). You can
use the Unix operating systems through several user interfaces. One of these
interfaces is the command line shell. Another one can be a graphical windowing
system.
  There are even Unix machines out there which do not have ANY user interface,
not even a command line shell.

  The X windowing system does not rely on the command line shell. It's far
independent of any shell. It uses the operating system directly.
  You can start X from a command line shell. You can start a command line
shell from X. You don't need one to use the other, though.

  I think that you just have the so-called command-line-fobia-syndrome.

: Windows is a major advance in that it has made computers accessible to the
: masses, I don't see any of the competition having anything like that kind of
: impact.

  Not true. MacOS was the first operating system which made computers
accessible to the masses.

  And even if we say that, we have to admit that Windows is a big step
backwards in versatility and stability.
  The instability of Windows is well known. Everyone agrees with that.
  As for verstatility, you just can't do anything with Windows. It doesn't
offer you any good tools for making anything advanced. Only simple (which
doesn't mean they are small) tools are given to make very simple tasks
(eg. in file management). But Windows doesn't offer any powerful tools
for eg. managing your files.
  For example, if I want to make a small CGI program in my home page which,
for example, handles guestbook entries (and creates a page to show all
the entries to the world), that's quite easily done in Unix. You need about
10 lines of script code to do that.
  However, trying to do the same in Windows is a lot harder. You'll probably
to use some programming language (and of course Windows doesn't give you
any compiler, what a surprise) and mostly external programs (not found in
Windows itself).