POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Guidelines : Re: Guidelines Server Time
20 Jul 2024 21:25:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Guidelines
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 9 Dec 2000 08:42:59
Message: <3a3236e3$1@news.povray.org>
"Peter Popov" <pet### [at] vipbg> wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Dec 2000 07:24:56 -0500, "Bill DeWitt" <bde### [at] cflrrcom>
> wrote:
>
> >    Windows is the standard, evidenced by the way Mac tried for so long
> >supplant it but then finally became Windows compatible, not to mention
Linux
> >windowing systems...
>
> LOL!!!
>
> Every time I start to wonder why Windows is so widespread, I hear or
> read something like this from someone like you and I realise it...
> though I still do not understand it. Good marketting and
> advertismenent is one thing, but successfully fooling millions into
> believing myths calls for a marketting genius (which Gates seems to
> be). Or do you not know that it has always been Windows that has
> replicated ideas from the Mac GUI?

    Windows rebuilt a wheel when it made a GUI like Mac already had. How
else would you make a wheel but round? It was much like several other
systems already available including "DeskMate" a simple Tandy system that
rode over DOS and allowed mouse clicking on programs you wanted to run.
Perhaps Mac copied RadioShack?

    But that is -not- what I was talking about. Mac thought they needed to
be able to run Windows Compatible programs to stay in business. So they
worked long nights to make it so. Fortunately for them, product loyalty
carried them through what even giving computers to teachers so that they
would teach Mac to millions of students couldn't prevent.