POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Guidelines : Re: Guidelines Server Time
20 Jul 2024 23:36:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Guidelines
From: Bob H
Date: 8 Dec 2000 21:13:13
Message: <3a319539@news.povray.org>
"Scott Hill" <sco### [at] innocentcom> wrote in message
> "Ken" <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message
> >
> Sometimes I really
> > miss not being able to use some of the added bennefits of posting
> > in html. It would be really nice to color highlight or underline a
> > phrase to add emphasis to a statement or hightlight a problem in
> > scene code. Plain text is boring and restrictive.
> >

>     Oddly enough, I was thinking, just last night, how useful HTML would be
> in my .sig - I could make the 'E-Mail', 'PGP Key' and 'Pandora's Box' bits
> into links and the actual addresses would get hidden away - plus text only
> browsers would just show the whole thing address and all. But then I
> realised just how many 'don't post HTML' flames I'd get.

I've seen many things done, including the use of Java and Flash, in other
message boards.  I can get restrictive because of the additional download time
and snarl up the cursor too.
However, web page-like text could be useful under certain circumstances I
believe.  So I would have to agree somewhat about that with Ken T.
Talking two different things here I think is the problem.  Message boards such
as this aren't meant to be web pages :-)  My contention has always been that if
every newsreader were more configurable to what the intention is by the user
then there probably would never be this sort of argument.

Bob H.