POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Guidelines : Re: Guidelines Server Time
20 Jul 2024 23:28:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Guidelines
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 8 Dec 2000 11:50:37
Message: <3a31115d$1@news.povray.org>
"Francois Labreque" <fla### [at] videotronca> wrote :

> Windows is a standard for only one reason: Lotus 1-2-3.  If the latter
> hadn't taken the market by storm in the Eighties, everyone wouldn't be
> using a PC, and hence everyone wouldn't be using the perating system
> that comes with them.

    Hmmm... I don't remember if or how much Lotus we sold before windows.
But you are probably right, between Lotus and Word (or Word Perfect)
probably 90% of the PC use was built on them. We were selling DOS program
managers before Windows, but I can tell you that when Windows came out,
people clamoured for it because of it's share-tasking. They wanted to have
their address book andc alculator and word processor working at the same
time.

> Other platforms are not striving to meet or exceed Windows in any aspect
> of its product, except maybe sales.

    Matter of opinion I guess. When I see them spend marketing money to
convince people that they now have Windows like features, I think they are
trying to meet or exceed a standard. Even when Linux says that their OS is
faster than Windows and uses less resources, they are using Windows as the
standard.