POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : And my Earth, day/night :-) [~403K Mpg] : Re: And my Earth, day/night :-) [~403K Mpg] Server Time
20 Jul 2024 11:28:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: And my Earth, day/night :-) [~403K Mpg]
From: Spock
Date: 7 Dec 2000 10:46:09
Message: <3a2fb0c1@news.povray.org>
Looks good to me, but I'm not 100% sure about the whole tilt thing.

Its been a long time since I looked into this, but I think it goes something
like this:

- The earth goes around the sun on the "solar plane".  Most illustrations
show the camera on this solar plane so the light strikes the earth at 90
degrees and the terminator is vertical.

- The earth rotates about its axis (north pole to south pole), but this axis
is about 23.5 degrees off vertical.

- The earth's rotational axis always points in the same direction (i.e.
towards the north star) so the earth does not wobble as it goes around the
sun.

- If you combine all of these you get seasons.  I have attached a bitmap
illustrating summer in the northern hemisphere.  Six months later the light
would be coming from the other side and you would have summer in Australia.

I hope this makes sense and that I got my facts generally correct.

BTW, nice image... don't give up yet :-)

"Bob H."
<per### [at] aolcom?subject=PoV-News:%20&body=Relating%20to%20POV-Ray:>
wrote in message news:3a2f10f2@news.povray.org...
> I put the latest version of mine at:
> http://members.aol.com/persistenceofv/Earth_Day-Night.mpg
> Hope you will like it, tilt and all.  I could adjust on it forever as with
> everything else so I stopped at a point.
>
> Bob H.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'earth.bmp.dat' (9 KB)