POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : And my Earth, day/night :-) [~403K Mpg] : Re: And my Earth, day/night :-) [~403K Mpg] Server Time
20 Jul 2024 11:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: And my Earth, day/night :-) [~403K Mpg]
From: Bob H
Date: 5 Dec 2000 16:47:23
Message: <3a2d626b$1@news.povray.org>
"Matt Giwer" <jul### [at] ijnet> wrote in message news:3A2D1770.61C24939@ij.net...
> Spock wrote:
> >
> > I notice a tendency for folks to model both the earth and the terminator
> > line as vertical.  While it is an accurate representation twice a year
> > (spring and fall equinox?) I think it might be more interesting to look at
> > the earth in mid-summer.  Try tipping the earth's main axis by 23 degrees
or
> > so (hope I got that angle right) to illustrate things like why the sun
> > doesn't set above the arctic circle in the summer.  Just a thought.
>
> Well taken.

It would have been :-) were it not for this being the result of aligning (no
pun intended) the two image maps and two gradient masking textures.  I realize
you can't see Europe much at all because of this vantage point.  Luckily there
isn't anything near the South Pole so a view from over the Tropic of Cancer
demarcation line at 23.5 degrees north of the equator would be better.

Bob H.