POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Earth and other planets, Callisto.png : Re: Earth and other planets, Callisto.png Server Time
19 Aug 2024 12:17:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Earth and other planets, Callisto.png
From: Rarius
Date: 4 Dec 2000 19:46:46
Message: <3a2c3af6@news.povray.org>
> While I find it great that you have maps to create all the solar system in
> it's glory, I found this about as interesting as spheres over a checkered
> plane.

Uninteresting as you may find it, as an astronomy lecturer I DO find it
interesting and VERY useful to have these models!

> Now that you have all the planets, why not add something to your pictures
> make each one unique and worth looking at... after all, you have mastered
> applying an image map to a sphere now.

One image map? The Earth took FIVE layered textures plus a media for the
atmosphere!
All my images are hand scripted with the Earth alone taking three full pages
of script.

The starmap was created from the Yale Bright Star Catalogue and converted to
a POV include file using a Visual Basic application.

Unless you have a more constructive comment I suggest you stop having a go
at people who HAVE mastered image_maps!

Rarius