POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : GlowString.jpg (26Kbu) : Re: GlowString.jpg (26Kbu) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 12:15:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GlowString.jpg (26Kbu)
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 4 Dec 2000 07:56:57
Message: <3a2b9499@news.povray.org>
Andy Cocker <big### [at] mariner9fsnetcouk> wrote:

> Hi,

> I just wrote my first macro, and although it's probably incredibly simple to
> most of you, I'm still quite pleased.

> The macro simply places a number of glows equally spaced between two points.
> It would be improved if the glowstring could be made 'slack', so that it
> dropped in the middle as though affected by gravity, but I have absolutely
> no idea how to do something like that.

> Anyway, I've posted my little macro in p.t.s.f, called GlowSting Macro. If
> anyone wants to improve it, I'd be interested in seeing what changes you
> make. For example, is there a better way of doing it than using a #while()
> loop?

Well, if you want, I've got a macro that uses the hyperbolic functions to do
the drop, which I used for the rope in my IRTC image from the SEA
competition.  It calculates the appropriate points given a 'lowest' point on
the hyperbola, and returns a vector of them.  There is another macro out
there for doing this, but IIRC, it uses a parabola, which isn't realistic in
some cases, though a good approximation.

Geoff