POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : GlowString.jpg (26Kbu) : Re: GlowString.jpg (26Kbu) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 12:22:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GlowString.jpg (26Kbu)
From: Yann Ramin
Date: 3 Dec 2000 12:55:21
Message: <3a2a8909@news.povray.org>
Andy Cocker wrote:

Looks...bright :) Thats hurting my eyes

> The macro simply places a number of glows equally spaced between two
> points. It would be improved if the glowstring could be made 'slack', so
> that it dropped in the middle as though affected by gravity, but I have
> absolutely no idea how to do something like that.

Take a look at the MakeTree macro - it allows the tree to be "pushed" and
"pulled" by a gravity vector. It looks like what you want is a severly
compressed quadratic (1/200x^2), let x run bewteen one end, to zero, then
to the other end. The equation will then produce the right y coordinate.
You could get fancy, define a zero point and all too (+ a second
compression ratio for the other end ;)) (that would be useful in
animations, a rippling whip or rope).

Anyway, enough of this :)

Looks great!

Yann

> Anyway, I've posted my little macro in p.t.s.f, called GlowSting Macro. If
> anyone wants to improve it, I'd be interested in seeing what changes you
> make. For example, is there a better way of doing it than using a #while()
> loop?
>
> Ok, here's a pic I made using the macro:

Yann Ramin                      atr### [at] atrustrivalieeuorg
Atrus Trivalie Productions      www.redshift.com/~yramin
AIM                             oddatrus
Marina, CA                      http://profiles.yahoo.com/theatrus

IRM Developer                   Network Toaster Developer
SNTS Developer                  KLevel Developer
Electronics Hobbyist            person who loves toys

Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

"I'm prepared for all emergencies but totally unprepared for everyday
life."