POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : VoidSphinx Nacelle : Re: VoidSphinx Nacelle Server Time
19 Aug 2024 12:23:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: VoidSphinx Nacelle
From: Yann Ramin
Date: 26 Nov 2000 22:59:21
Message: <3a21dc19@news.povray.org>
<nit-pick mode>

Well, the light and decals look great. I'd work on the texture of the
nacelle its self. Yes, they are supposed to be clean burning, but what
about a blast mark somewhere? They need more of a metallic sheen too (they
are too dark).

</nit-pick mode>

It looks rater good.

Dawn McKnight wrote:

> So, I spent most of the weekend tinkering with my nacelles.  I think
> watching paint dry would be faster, sometimes.  Anyway, for your
> perusal, three views of the port nacelle.
>
> 1. This is probably as far as I'm going to take the nacelle, though I
> keep kicking around the idea of asymmetrically cutting in the aft end; I
> think it looks too blocky back there.  The background is black here, and
> yes, I know it's hard to differentiate what is and isn't part of the
> nacelle, but this is for a fighter with a low-observability coating;
> it's /supposed/ to be hard to see.
>
> 2. I read somewhere that Lucasfilm uses a greenscreen technique with
> their models, so I goofed around with putting a green background behind
> the image.  It works okay, except I imagine if this were the starboard
> nacelle, with a green running light, I'd lose the light.  I think the
> next thing I'm going to try along these lines is going to be no
> background, with an alpha channel, and see what that does for me.
>
> 3. A close-up on the decal marking the nacelle.  This one happens to be
> from VF-9, the Galaxy Famous Fighting Aardvarks, and belongs to fighter
> #106, the Squadron CO's bird.  I like the way this came out, and I wrote
> a nifty macro that determines if the nacelle is port or starboard, upper
> or lower tier, writes the decal on the appropriate side of the nacelle,
> and makes sure it isn't upside down and backwards!  (The same macro also
> determines the color of the running lights).
>
> Telling me I suck because it took me all weekend to do this will be
> ignored. 8)

Yann Ramin                      atr### [at] atrustrivalieeuorg
Atrus Trivalie Productions      www.redshift.com/~yramin
AIM                             oddatrus
Marina, CA                      http://profiles.yahoo.com/theatrus

IRM Developer                   Network Toaster Developer
SNTS Developer                  KLevel Developer
Electronics Hobbyist            person who loves toys

Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

"I'm prepared for all emergencies but totally unprepared for everyday
life."