POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Escape from Lab #608 : Re: Escape from Lab #608 Server Time
19 Aug 2024 14:14:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Escape from Lab #608
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 26 Nov 2000 08:08:16
Message: <3a210b40@news.povray.org>
"Bob H." wrote:

> Imaginative... Kind of a Outer Limits type thing I thought.
> No one mentioned the fluorescent light sharp shadows.  Area lights all
around would be the answer I'd think.

    I tried that. Maybe there is a way to get area lights to light up a
bigger area? It made the FL. fixture cast light only on one point of the
ceiling and walls. I ended up with a line of lights all the way down the
fluorescent tubes. I tried giving them a little random xy movement but that
just made banding. Maybe I should try both point lights and area lights, but
that still might make a very bright point in the center of the fixture.

    I also tried area lights in the emergency lights. Until I got very small
ones I couldn't get the grain out of the shadows. Then the line came back.
Maybe the cage should be shadowless?

    I did try radiosity. I would have to start over and I don't think glows
work very well, or at least how I expect them to work, with radiosity. Maybe
I will try again.