POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Comissioning Plaque : Re: Comissioning Plaque Server Time
19 Aug 2024 14:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Comissioning Plaque
From: Eon
Date: 26 Nov 2000 06:55:33
Message: <3a20fa35@news.povray.org>
Hi Dawn,

Here are a couple of ways in which you could speed up the render
time...

The first is to create the text as a heightfield. Use something like
paint shop pro to write black text on to a white background with a bit
of antialiasing. It would be quite quick to render and would also
allow you to slightly bevel the characters.

I have also found that if you put a bounding box arround the main
area, it will greatly improve the render time. AFAIK, Pov does auto
bounding for most objects, but doesn't work very well with CSG
difference. In a recent submission to the IRTC, I reduced the render
time by a factor of 10 when I used a bounded_by statement on mt text
CSG difference.

Hope these are useful!

Cheers,
Ian Shumsky