POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Resolution of Outputed Image : Re: Resolution of Outputed Image Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:32:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Resolution of Outputed Image
From: Patrick Dugan
Date: 14 Nov 2000 20:38:01
Message: <3a11e8f9@news.povray.org>
I have been printing some images recently and can give you some direction.
First, the printer resolution is going to be much higher than your monitor.
For example my 19 inch monitor is actually about 14 inches side-to-side and
is currently at a resolution of 1024 across.  This works out to about 73
pixels per inch.  My printer on the other hand prints at 720 dots per inch.
If I print an image that is fine "screen wise" it will be quite pixelly
printed full page on the printer.  In order to get printable images you have
to increase the render size.  I have gotten some images printed that are 34
inches wide by 25 inches tall without ANY pixels being apparent.  (Not on my
printer though, I go to a printing service.) The image size to make that
happen though is 10240 by 7680 (not a typo) so it is an order of 100 times
larger to make a clean printout.  You might get away with half that size
depending on the final size of the printout.

Of course that also means it takes *FOREVER* to render...

"Michael DiDonato" <did### [at] scrippsedu> wrote in message
Is there a way to specify the resolution of the images created by POV-RAY?
I have created a couple of molecular graphics which look great on screen but
when they are printed, they contain jaggies even though they were
antialiazed.
Furthermore, when I open the TGA file in xv (or any other graphics program)
it says the resolution is 72dpi.  I would like this to be at least 600dpi.
Is there a way to specify this in POV-Ray?
Any help is appreciated.
Mike

--
Michael DiDonato, PhD