POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Resolution of Outputed Image : Re: Resolution of Outputed Image Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:17:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Resolution of Outputed Image
From: Thomas Charron
Date: 13 Nov 2000 17:43:10
Message: <3a106e7e$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3A105C74.B558AA0F@scripps.edu>, "Michael DiDonato"
<did### [at] scrippsedu> wrote:
> Is there a way to specify the resolution of the images created by
> POV-RAY?  I have created a couple of molecular graphics which look great
> on screen but when they are printed, they contain jaggies even though
> they were antialiazed.

  I think the printer is more at fault then the image at that point..

> Furthermore, when I open the TGA file in xv (or any other graphics
> program) it says the resolution is 72dpi.  I would like this to be at
> least 600dpi.  Is there a way to specify this in POV-Ray?

  DPI is really a *bad* term.  You see, where is there a reference to an
'inch' in a digital image?  I'd imaging that xv is figuring out the size
of the image, compared to the size of your screen.  I mean think about
it..  Do my images magically have a higher DPI when displayed on a higher
resolution monitor?

> Any help is appreciated.

  What application are you using the print these images?  What printing
system are you going thru?  And best of all, what printer are you using?
Remember, just becouse a printer can print at 600 DPI doesn't mean the
application is giving it information at this level..

  DPI is simply the number of pixels in one inch.