POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Glows are not translated with the light source : Re: Glows are not translated with the light source Server Time
2 Sep 2024 02:16:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glows are not translated with the light source
From: Warp
Date: 10 Nov 2000 07:49:48
Message: <3a0beeec@news.povray.org>
Chris Huff <chr### [at] maccom> wrote:
: Light sources are different, they are objects. Glows aren't, they are a
: much simpler structure, and changing them to be objects isn't easy and
: would consume more memory, so I am going to try a different tactic of
: allowing them to be attached to objects.

  If tranformations will affect the glow, I'll suppose that this includes
(non-uniform) scaling as well. This can be a very useful feature to get
oval glows (eg. a candle flame).

: it would be
: nice if POV provided some standard functions for allocating, copying,
: inserting and deleting parts of, and resizing arrays.

  C++ does.

  The good thing about arrays (ie. vectors) is that they not only take less
memory than lists, but you can also index a vector and thus, if the items
inside it are in certain order, perform a binary search.