POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IsoWood 0.2 Preview (87k) : Re: IsoWood 0.2 Preview (87k) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 16:16:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IsoWood 0.2 Preview (87k)
From: Geoff Wedig
Date: 10 Nov 2000 07:42:59
Message: <3a0bed53@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann <Chr### [at] schunteretctu-bsde> wrote:

> GrimDude wrote:
>>
>> Aye. I've been looking at the new turbulence vector. That, and I believe
>> something like a spotted map, would get results. In otherwords, a complex
>> texture would most certainly be required.

> I'm not sure if i understood that right, could you explain it a bit more
> detailed ?

>> I have no doubt that warps,
>> blackholes, (whatever) could benefit diversity in the pattern, but not the
>> answer in getting the overall effect.

> I think displace warps are quite a good idea, i also try the black_hole warps
> placed at the surface of the wood objects.

>> I started off iso woods by trying to recreate the T_Wood series, which I
>> then proceeded to 'dirty down' with knotholes. I still haven't gotten the
>> results I want, but I have a ton of projects going too. :)
>>
>> Attached are 25 T_Woods less the knotholes.
>>

> You should remember that layered textures can't be used in the IsoWood include.
> BTW I already have quite a lot of color_maps and some pigments to be included
> with IsoWood 0.2

Yeah, I ran into this when I was trying to get a good oak texture, including
grains.  I ended up doing a pigment map with the same coordinants as the
texture map, then added a texture field to the iso-wood includes.  It's not
very general, though, since when tweaking one, you have to tweak the other,
by hand, but the increased effectiveness is worth it.  I can now do things
like grains, having the dark wood rougher, while the light wood is smooth
and shiny (this is what the oak in my house is like) rather than just having
the depth be uniform.

If you want to see my tweaks, I can send them to you.  I can also post a
picture if what I'm talking about isn't clear.

Geoff