POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Multi-machine rendering... : Re: Multi-machine rendering... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:20:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Multi-machine rendering...
From: Thomas Charron
Date: 7 Nov 2000 13:03:10
Message: <3a0843de$1@news.povray.org>
In article <39F### [at] yahoocom>, "Simon Lemieux"
<lem### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> Me too.. I currently have only one machine, but I could easily write a
> cgi script that could do everything that Povray does (except the
> pre/post render exections ;)...  that would be available for anyone...
> the program would run under linux only (since I use the command system()
> that might not work properly on other machines...)

  What would be nice is if we could combine the ability for a CGI
application to serve as a frontend for a distributed rendering 'farm'
that individuals could submit their machines to be part of in order to
access.  Perhaps a small client utility that would login to the backend
and accept rendering jobs, and in exchange for doing this, you would have
access to the entire distributed 'farm'..

  Not sure if I'm wording this well, but basically a system such as what
you are saying, but with a more open backend that anyone could 'hook'
into.