POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : thermometer (glassthingie) 98kbbu : Re: thermometer (glassthingie) 98kbbu Server Time
19 Aug 2024 18:31:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: thermometer (glassthingie) 98kbbu
From: Bob H
Date: 6 Nov 2000 03:03:38
Message: <3a0665da@news.povray.org>
"KalleK" <kal### [at] gmxde> wrote in message news:3a05920f@news.povray.org...

> As far as the lathe bug is concerned - i got no answers. Shell I ask in
> povray.general? I want to avoid these artefacts and don't know how.

I'm not so sure it can really be classified as a true "bug" since it's probably
more of a mathematics problem in the spline.  They tend to wrap back on
themselves if the points which are set up for the profile aren't in good
relation to one another.  sturm helps but can't seem to go beyond a certain
limit to clear it up.  Numerical precision and all that, you know.
Anyhow, what I'm actually getting at is that the spline calculations are either
faulty or just can't reach correct accuracy.  But if you place the points well
enough there wouldn't be artifacts.  What it needs is a over-ride to prevent
bad points and thus bad splines.  I guess in that respect it would be a bug
once the answer to that were found.
Didn't make perfect sense, did I ?

Bob