POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : thermometer (glassthingie) 98kbbu : Re: thermometer (glassthingie) 98kbbu Server Time
19 Aug 2024 18:22:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: thermometer (glassthingie) 98kbbu
From: Bob H
Date: 5 Nov 2000 05:27:23
Message: <3a05360b$1@news.povray.org>
"KalleK" <kal### [at] gmxde> wrote in message news:3a003d96@news.povray.org...

> Than there was another problem. The problem of coincident surfaces. Try to
> modell a hollow glassphere half-filled with water. I didn't know a way to
> avoid the problem with coincident surfaces but a very difficult one (a union
> of{ the glass and a difference of {a union of { a bigger water and
> airpart }}cut out to fill the sphere} I know i can't describe it well, but I
> can send you the source. (Thinking of it now, clipped_by would improve it)

First of all, got to say that now I know someone made this before I ever got
around to starting on one.  But I won't let that stop me  :-)
About using clipped_by.  Big mistake, if I understood you, because I think the
unioned difference is best to get a correct CSG.  Since clipping leaves object
open it's not very conducive to refraction (ior), imo.  At least not for all
things.
I'd just scale a copy of the object being used in the final union as the
cutaway object a fraction larger or smaller (depending on the desired result).
The laced cloth is a nice touch.  You're own creation, or from a macro or
include file someplace?

Bob