POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : thermometer (glassthingie) 98kbbu : thermometer (glassthingie) 98kbbu Server Time
19 Aug 2024 18:24:38 EDT (-0400)
  thermometer (glassthingie) 98kbbu
From: KalleK
Date: 1 Nov 2000 10:58:14
Message: <3a003d96@news.povray.org>
Hi all!

This is a project, i started some year ago. Now it's maybe worth posting.

<talking (too) much>
The oldest part is the thermometer itself. I once stopped working on it,
when the lathe-bug crossed my way (the dark line at the green capsule - it's
not jpeg...): I'm not that sure, what it is. In march '99 Ken discovered a
so called "media bug". But it was the "well known" lathe bug (thomas
willhalm answered). It's in povray.bugreports.
I don't know much about this bug, i guess it's a precision problem. Will
this bug be fixed in a next version? Or does a workaround exist? I realized
that the problem gets bigger when you decrease the camera-angle. It is
something with orthoganal hits on the lathe.

Than there was another problem. The problem of coincident surfaces. Try to
modell a hollow glassphere half-filled with water. I didn't know a way to
avoid the problem with coincident surfaces but a very difficult one (a union
of{ the glass and a difference of {a union of { a bigger water and
airpart }}cut out to fill the sphere} I know i can't describe it well, but I
can send you the source. (Thinking of it now, clipped_by would improve it)

The sky is the first skysphere ever made by my girlfriend.

On the floor (that is a table with (I know ) a bad wood texture) there is a
crochet work out of 11000 sphere - try to meet with reality. Sorry for the
'real' floor (simple hexagon) but i hoped jpg (compression 60%) would love
it.

And - yes, I know it's a huge format (somewhat 768*2304) but now you can see
the inscription on the weights.
Can someone of you tell me the physics of the thermometer - i once knew, but
having finished school a half year ago, I forgot all physics. :-(
What happens is, if it's getting warmer, the capsules sink onto the floor.
the lowest of the leaving swimming capsules tells the temperature (that is

</talking (too) much>

What do you think of the scene?

cukk

Post a reply to this message