POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : "99% complete" : "99% complete" Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  "99% complete"
From: Mike Williams
Date: 8 Sep 2001 11:23:40
Message: <3TF2pEAK6hm7EwzA@econym.demon.co.uk>
Sometimes, when the render window pops up, it starts counting from 99%
(or occasionally 98% or lower).

The first time I saw this, I happened to be running a slow scene and
happened to look at it after a couple of minutes. I saw "99% complete"
and thought "Wow! that's FAST!". Boy was I wrong.

It took me a while to work out how to reproduce the effect. This is one
way to reproduce it, but it's possible that there may be other ways (I
don't remember doing anything like this with the Wow! image).

To reproduce the effect:

Using any scene file, render a small patch of it by dragging a small
rectangle on the render window. (You then get the pop up warning
"Section is xxx,yyy to xxx,yyy. Press OK to render this region now. (You
may shift-drag to set a permanent region next time", and click OK).
After the small region has finished rendering, click the RUN icon to
render the entire scene.

It seems to sometimes happen if I abort the rendering of an image before
it is complete, make a small change to the scene file and start
rendering again, but it's not completely reproducible this way.

POV 3.5b1. Windows 98se. AMD K6-2 500. 128Mb.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure