POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : mlPOV SSS (2 jpegs, 50kb total) : mlPOV SSS (2 jpegs, 50kb total) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:30:23 EDT (-0400)
  mlPOV SSS (2 jpegs, 50kb total)
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 4 Dec 2003 16:28:38
Message: <3FCFA6ED.5020202@hotmail.com>
Hello everyone. I've got hills of ice.... or something loosely
resembling ice.

In one image no subsurface scattering is used. In the other image,
lighting effects can be seen 'wrapping around' the hills.

Ice_hill_not.jpg took 26 seconds to render.
Ice_hillSSS.jpg took 9 minutes, 45 seconds to render.

The SSS is a 'faked' version made in mlPOV and uses the projection
pattern. Some artifacts can be seen if you look closely. For instance,
at the bottom of the middle hill you can see horizontal lines caused by
the ground plane, which is also included in the SSS evaluation. Also,
lines following the contour of the tops of certain hills can be seen
because of the low samples and high scattering values I used.

The SSS takes both light_sources into account, thus simulating light
scattering from both the sun and background sky.

I should try this scene with media... or if somebody else wants to
render it I can make the source code available.

Q's, C's?

--
Samuel Benge

stb### [at] hotmailcom
See my website@: http://www.goldrush.com/~abenge/Top/index.html

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'ice_hill_not.jpg' (19 KB) Download 'ice_hillsss.jpg' (31 KB)

Preview of image 'ice_hill_not.jpg'
ice_hill_not.jpg

Preview of image 'ice_hillsss.jpg'
ice_hillsss.jpg