POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Subsurface Scattering: A Tuesday Mystery (21kb jpeg) : Re: Subsurface Scattering: A Tuesday Mystery (21kb jpeg) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:27:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Subsurface Scattering: A Tuesday Mystery (21kb jpeg)
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 26 Nov 2003 10:21:10
Message: <3FC4C4E3.8020800@hotmail.com>
JC (Exether) wrote:

> This is really impressive. Did you try to do a candle ?

Thanks JC. Nope, haven't tried a candle yet, it was getting quite late
last night.

 > Does your
 > technique work with a very close light ?

I don't think it will, but only because my math is sloppy. I'm hoping
when I release the code that somebody with better coding skills will
develop it further.....

> My guess for your technique is a two pass render, first pass with a
> black and white spherical pigment depending on the light position that
> you apply to all objects with subsurface scattering, and then a second
> pass where you use the first one to evaluate the color. While explaining
> my guess I have no really precise idea on the how you did it though.  :-)
>
> Am I any close ??   8-p

You are very close. A black/white pigment is involved, and a preliminary
pass to establish subsurface scattering effects is used.

--
Samuel Benge

stb### [at] hotmailcom
See my website@: http://www.goldrush.com/~abenge/Top/index.html