POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Isosurfaces: smooth dividing (20kb jpeg) : Isosurfaces: smooth dividing (20kb jpeg) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:33:29 EDT (-0400)
  Isosurfaces: smooth dividing (20kb jpeg)
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 25 Nov 2003 15:29:18
Message: <3FC3BB92.4090506@hotmail.com>
Hello everyone! Some of you 'old hats' out there might remember how on
my old (and quite outdated) isosurface tutorial I mentioned a future
topic I planned on discussing: smooth dividing. Unfortunately I never
got around to making that section, and by the time POV-Ray 3.5 came out
with its support for the isosurface object it was too late. The syntax
for the isosurface had changed, and out the door flew the ^hat operator.
I could never get pow to work correctly.

Well, today while playing with blobbing functions I taught myself once
again the nifty trick for organic isosurface modeling. The whole idea
behind this technique is to take an isosurface object and put creases
into its surface, with total control over the threshold. This allows a
person to make organic shapes more easily than with other methods.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

function{
  (sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z)-1) // starting shape
  *abs(x)               // makes a x-oriented straight crease
  +.01                  // threshold value
}

Please forgive me if this has been done before. I've checked the POV-Ray
docs and Mike Willams' tutorial and didn't see this technique in either.
  Does anyone think this is useful? Should I make a tutorial or
something? It renders quickly, and the image shown here uses default
isosurface settings.

--
Samuel Benge

stb### [at] hotmailcom