POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Modeler test (2 jpgs, 27kb each) : Re: Modeler test (2 jpgs, 27kb each) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modeler test (2 jpgs, 27kb each)
From: John VanSickle
Date: 8 Nov 2003 01:38:45
Message: <3FAC8F73.8070609@hotmail.com>
Ari-Matti Leppaenen wrote:

> John VanSickle wrote:
>
>> This was done in just a few hours time last night.  before.jpg is the
>> hull mesh and after.jpg is with three levels of subdivision plus normal
>> smoothing.
>
> That looks nice. Can you see the control mesh after subdivisions and
> modify it on the fly in your editor? It would make editing a whole lot
> easier (but needs a lot of computational muscles).

No.  The modeler doesn't do the subdivisions.  The modeler exports the
basic mesh to a POV script file.  I have a set of macros here

   http://enphilistor.users4.50megs.com/nsss.htm

which take the polygon hull and turn it into the smooth form.

> What scheme are you using for subdivisions? You might find this paper
> interesting:  http://tom.cs.byu.edu/~tom/papers/nurss.pdf. It's one way
> of preserving sharpe features. I don't know if it's the best option, but
> not too much work if you have a working Catmull-Clark.

Right now I use a modified Loop scheme (extended to include
quadrilateral faces).

Regards,
John