POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Crash after 63 frames? : Re: Crash after 63 frames? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 10:58:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crash after 63 frames?
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 2 Nov 2003 07:44:48
Message: <3FA4FBE0.83165A1D@onwijs.com>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> In article <web.3fa3b203944a788685aba4bf0@news.povray.org> , "Scott Gammans"
> <deepgloathatesspamaatyahoodotcom> wrote:
>
> > Well, I am convinced that MacMegaPOV has the same memory leak (or
> > **whatever** you want to call it, Thorsten!)
>
> As POV-Ray is able to track all memory used, and that tracking will show all
> memory "Lost" and then free it anyway, there is no memory leak.  It is that
> simple.  Just repeating something that sin't a fact does not make it a
> fact...
>
>     Thorsten

I agree, but evidently there is a problem somewhere. It isn't
necessarily a bug in POVRay but it is something that occurs while
rendering animations in POVRay as well as in other situations.
Saying it isn't a memory leak, true as it is, doesn't really solve the
problem. Even though the actual 'bug' (if any) isn't in POVRay it would
be nice to know how to avoid such things, either in the scene or ini
file or in the way you render things (my suggestion for Scott would be
to render it in chunks of 63 frames ;)) or maybe even in a line in the
program code somewhere.

Remco