POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Tree 1.3 : Re: POV-Tree 1.3 Server Time
25 Apr 2024 15:02:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Tree 1.3
From: Gena Obukhov
Date: 4 Oct 2003 18:13:26
Message: <3F7F43CB.9070101@yahoo.com>
Hughes, B. wrote:

>It's great work, Gena. I finally had my first use of it (version 1.2.1)...

Thank you Bob!

>Looking at the version 1.3 here, I notice a typo on the Root section where...

Thanks for finding typos! I'll fix it whenever it's time for next update.

>Any plans to add the ability to use normals (patterns)?

There is no way to assign normal to the mesh leaf. You can assign it
only to all leaves because mesh foliage from POV-Tree is a set of
triangles not a set of separate leaves. Though I think it's possible to
do in TOMTREE macro. The idea was to have the same functionality
in mesh export and blob (TOMTREE macro) versions.

>And a side note about the highlighting, which you are apparently calling
>"gloss": After using this utility to create trees, I had been taking a
>closer look at real trees and almost surprised me when I saw sunlight
>shining on the leaves of some trees as though they were water reflecting the
>sunlight. Made me rethink specular highlighting for leaves even though I had
>already applied a little more than your default was doing, still phong
>though. I had also added variable reflection since I already noticed the sky
>color on leaves. Not sure if that's more of an effect to use radiosity for,
>or not, but it appears as reflection to my eyes.

I think these parameters (specular and reflection) can be added to
foliage because it's common for all leaves.

I still don't know what will be in next version. There is idea to make
commercial version of POV-Tree. If we will reach a consensus with
Tom Aust that can happen. For commercial version such features
as OpenGL preview, export to OBJ, DXF, 3DS and some other
feautures could be added to POV-Tree. But free POV-Tree version
will always exist.

Gena.