POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Most ambitious ever! : Re: Most ambitious ever! Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:07:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most ambitious ever!
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 27 Sep 2003 06:44:21
Message: <3F756989.9EFD7469@onwijs.com>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> In article <3F72C11E.A02E1940@onwijs.com> , Remco de Korte
> <rem### [at] onwijscom>  wrote:
>
> > This isn't really about MY operating system. I'm just looking for a way
> > to make sure that a movie file will play on as many (windows) systems as
> > possible, preferrable all that haven't be tampered with too much.
>
> I understand, but I would suggest to simply not use codecs that old for
> anything new even if they are most likely on many systems.  In five years
> they will be gone for sure once M$ has once again changed all its APIs...

You seem to know a lot about this :)
(more then me, but that doesn't say much)

What I wonder is: with all the different codecs around and the trouble
that is causing, is the size of the codec really such a big problem?
Wouldn't it for instance be ideal if the codec was incorporated in the
moviefile itself? Would this be at all possible? Is it possible to use a
codec if it isn't already installed?

Cheers!

Remco