POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Most ambitious ever! : Re: Most ambitious ever! Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most ambitious ever!
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 25 Sep 2003 06:21:09
Message: <3F72C11E.A02E1940@onwijs.com>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> In article <3F715D07.7AEFED32@onwijs.com> , Remco de Korte
> <rem### [at] onwijscom>  wrote:
>
> >> Interestingly, Windows XP SP1 happens to be what I've got... so where the
> >> heck did I get these codecs from? Hmm... weird!
> >
> > I have access to two XP systems, one did have the codec (the older one)
> > the other didn't. This is a developer's nightmare, especially if you try
> > to avoid installing codecs along with your application. It seems that it
> > that last thing is unrealistic to hope for...
>
> If you have software (aka games) that use these ancient codecs, chances are
> the software also accesses hardware directly.  Hence, it wouldn't run
> anyway.  Or do you really want your operating system to get more bloated
> with useless outdated junk codecs than it already is?
>
>     Thorsten

This isn't really about MY operating system. I'm just looking for a way
to make sure that a movie file will play on as many (windows) systems as
possible, preferrable all that haven't be tampered with too much.
Besides, I don't think current OS's will get bloated much more by a
couple of old codecs. These codecs are miniscule compared to all the
redundant functionality that comes with XP for instance. But that's
beside the point :)

Remco