POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: Snake! WIP : Re: Snake! WIP Server Time
19 Jul 2024 02:18:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Snake! WIP
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 20 Sep 2003 21:18:13
Message: <3F6CFBE8.A9816F45@onwijs.com>
Steve Shelby wrote:

> Remco,
> Your message prompted me to look up "snake locomotion". It turns out that
> there are several different methods of movement employed by snakes.
> See http://www.ucs.louisiana.edu/~bxm5101/locomotn.htm
> or http://reptilis.net/serpentes/moving.html
> Unfortunately, I can't find any good videos of snakes in motion. I think the
> main problem mine has is the way the  head appears to move from side to
> side.
> As to where this is going...Idon't really know yet. Any suggestions?
> Steve

Since I started it... No, I'm not an expert on snakes, but it just
seemed wrong (and right in a different way: I liked the motion, I just
thought snakes wouldn't move forward that way).
I think if you keep the head in a fixed location on the snake's path the
body should "wave" behind it.
So, assuming you use a sort of sine way, I'd set the amplitude (?) at
zero for the head and increase it up to some point down the body (maybe
at 1/4th).
Maybe that looks silly (as opposed to now), I don't know. Some
experimenting might help.

Good luck,

Remco