POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Indoor Radiosity Experiments (24kb + 25kb + 25kb) : Re: Indoor Radiosity Experiments (24kb + 25kb + 25kb) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:21:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Indoor Radiosity Experiments (24kb + 25kb + 25kb)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 29 Jul 2003 06:21:48
Message: <3F264ABB.C579C193@gmx.de>
Greg Edwards wrote:

> [...]
>
> I could easily be mistaken, but AFAIK, radiosity takes only a few samples
> for many pixels (count) to speed up the render process and when finding the
> colour for a given pixel, finds the nearest calculated samples
> (nearest_count) on the same surface and does a weighted average. This is
> kinda hard to do when there are no surfaces (3d media). If I'm wrong, just
> say so and I'll shut up. ;-)

Ah, so you don't mean there is a problem for radiosity taking into account
media but media being illuminated by diffuse light.  This is indeed not
handled in POV-Ray radiosity at the moment - it is not impossible to do
this with monte carlo radiosity though.

It all comes down to an effect quite rarely needed (since diffuse light
rarely creates a very clearly defined effect on media) and that would be
quite slow to compute.

Christoph

Last updated 17 Jun. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______