POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : blob2 : Re: blob2 patch now available Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:37:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: blob2 patch now available
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 19 Jul 2003 08:52:50
Message: <3F193F21.DC20B444@gmx.de>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> > I for example don't really understand why this patch is a
> > separate object and not a special function for using in isosurfaces (which
> > would have a lot of advantages for the user).
>
> I abandoned that approach early on. An isosurface function would make
> many of the optimizations used impossible, make a manually specified
> container object mandatory, etc. Other than those blob2-specific
> optimizations, it probably works very similarly to the isosurface method
> without the evaluate option.

This is exactly what i meant when suggesting a better documentation.  I
still fail to see what optimizations would not be possible in a custom
isosurface function (the container is not really important if the function
is fast far away from the components due to optimization).  Descriptions
of the used techniques will be the key to understand the strength (and
possibly weak points) of the patch.

I think Tom is quite right, you seem to not enough look at it from the
user's side.  From your point of view documentation might be unnecessary
but it would be immensely important.  Try writing something under the
premise:

"In what way is the blob2 better than other solutions (existing blob shape
and isosurface blobbing solutions) and how does the patch accomplish
this."

Christoph

Last updated 17 Jun. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______