POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tilable and intersectable BrickWall (~150k) : Re: Tilable and intersectable BrickWall (~150k) Server Time
15 Sep 2024 03:14:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tilable and intersectable BrickWall (~150k)
From: Xilo Musimene
Date: 19 Jun 2003 12:10:56
Message: <3EF1E091.4090306@hotpop.com>
Thanks JWV, btw, when a comment starts with "very impressive, [...]" I
feel it is overall a very positive comment! ;)

> very impressive, the only comment i can give is that it looks as if you used
> one BIG rock, and divided it into smaller bricks. It is very visible at the
> corner, the edge follows an irregular, but continous path. If this was your
> intention, good work, but if it wasn't, you might consider swapping some
> random bricks (if possible) to give the wall a more random look .

You are right, currently the wall is "sculpted" on one big rock, I need
to add some randomness to the bricks, this should be fairly easy, but it
will still look like a single big rock, I need to use many different
heightfields to simulate the use of many different big rocks, resulting
in a real brick wall.  Thanks for the comment I will definately work on it!

> Also you should make the depth of the bumps less (smaller).

Currently there is a bump_map that gives a grainy feeling, but you could
only see it with a close up...  You probably mean the depth or elevation
of the heightfield which exagerates the slope on the bricks; well, I
wanted you to see that it's not just a bump map but an actual bumped object.

> Lots of negative comments i see, but please note: i am impressed and could
> not do it by myself, you can do it, and i'm just trying to help :-).

You helped a good deal!  Thanks JWV!

Right now I'm struggling to make the part between the bricks to be
black, for use in bricks that do not connect like the round ones I'm
making.  Then, I'll check to make the use of many different heightfields
to randomize the bricks.

Thanks,
   Xilo

--
Dedicated to audio/visual and interactive artwork.
http://www.geocities.com/simonlemieux/