POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Simple cloud : Re: Simple cloud Server Time
12 Aug 2024 23:22:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simple cloud
From: Gena
Date: 18 Jun 2003 19:52:26
Message: <3EF0FB3C.40886A47@mail.com>
ScottishPig wrote:

> Simple as it may be, I rather like it. Perhaps you should write a tutorial
> on how peons like us newbies can make it.

There is nothing special just check the source. It's really very simple
code :) But despite its simplicity I believe that that technique can be
used for very complicated clouds. I'll try to prove that whenever
I have time :)

More likely you have to increase max_trace_level for very
complicated cloud(s). Also if you place several mesh
elements in the same plane (e.g. x-y) and if they overlap make
sure that you have a small gap between those elements (e.g.
z*0.00001)

I created this cloud manually. Just scaling rotating and translating
the basis mesh element. For simple clouds that's OK. But I think
that more complicated plumpish clouds should be created by
macros. I just don't know any appropriate algorithm for that :(

Using several mesh elements with slightly different hues you
can get good looking colorful cloud(s).

One of the advantages of this technique - clouds look the same
way in any resolution. Another advantage - mesh nature of
the cloud. As a result you can fill by such clouds the whole sky
without any impact on memory.

Gena.