POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : BrickWall rendering comparison (~450k, 6 images) : BrickWall rendering comparison (~450k, 6 images) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:15:20 EDT (-0400)
  BrickWall rendering comparison (~450k, 6 images)
From: Xilo Musimene
Date: 31 May 2003 18:35:22
Message: <3ED92E0E.3050101@hotpop.com>
Hi,  I've made this brick wall with two heightfields, they don't have
textures, just a color of rgb 1, the light source gives the yellowish color.

First image is without (Sans) smooth in the HF, and the HF image was in
8bit grayscale.
Second image is With smooth at 8bit grayscale.
Third image is Sans smooth with the Anti-Aliasing Sampling Method 1 with
a 16bit grayscale HF
Fourth image is With smooth with Sampling Method 1 with 16bit HF.
Fifth image is Sans smooth with SM 2 with 16bit HF
Sixth image is With smooth with SM 2 with 16bit HF

It's not a complete comparison, but I can tell you that 8bit
heightfields sucks in this scene!

Then, which do you prefer?  Keep in mind that I can always add a bump
map to simulate graininess that would fit with the bricks.

I personnally like the last one.

Xilo

--
Dedicated to audio/visual and interactive artwork.
http://www.geocities.com/simonlemieux/

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'wallsanssmooth8b.jpg' (90 KB) Download 'wallwithsmooth8b.jpg' (77 KB) Download 'wallsanssmoothsm1.jpg' (83 KB) Download 'wallwithsmoothsm1.jpg' (57 KB) Download 'wallsanssmoothsm2.jpg' (78 KB) Download 'wallwithsmoothsm2.jpg' (51 KB)

Preview of image 'wallsanssmooth8b.jpg'
wallsanssmooth8b.jpg

Preview of image 'wallwithsmooth8b.jpg'
wallwithsmooth8b.jpg

Preview of image 'wallsanssmoothsm1.jpg'
wallsanssmoothsm1.jpg

Preview of image 'wallwithsmoothsm1.jpg'
wallwithsmoothsm1.jpg

Preview of image 'wallsanssmoothsm2.jpg'
wallsanssmoothsm2.jpg

Preview of image 'wallwithsmoothsm2.jpg'
wallwithsmoothsm2.jpg