POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPOV mechsim environment collisions : Re: MegaPOV mechsim environment collisions Server Time
1 Jul 2024 04:27:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPOV mechsim environment collisions
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 23 May 2003 02:06:46
Message: <3ECDBA75.B1C017AC@gmx.de>
Mack Tuesday wrote:

> Has anyone ever seen Sodaplay's SodaConstructor?  It's at
> ( http://sodaplay.com/constructor/index.htm )  It's a very simple
> 2-D mechanical simulator that makes little walking objects by
> driving the springs in the mass-spring model with sinusoids.
>
> I wanted to do the same thing in MegaPOV but I'm running into
> problems.  The first thing I tried was to open the save_file,
> read the values, update the "length" fields, and then explicitly
> declare the masses and connections in the topology settings.  So
> in this case I wasn't declaring the load_file.  This worked fine
> except collisions with the environment failed completely -- my
> masses fell through the ground as if it weren't there.

Could you please rephrase your description in a more understandable form?
I have no idea what 'declaring the load_file' means for example.

> [...]
>
> Even in the tutorial examples the masses tend to fall past the
> ground level too much.  I would understand if they were being
> treated as point masses and the collisions were tested between
> the environment and the center of the sphere, but even so I'm
> pretty certain that the centers of the masses are falling past
> the ground level anyway.

Which of the sample scenes are you referring to?

The interaction with the environment can be adjusted with the environment
parameters and the environment method.  See the section 'The environment
properties' in the docs.  If you choose a realistic value for the
stiffness you will also get natural results but you usually want to use
somewhat lower values or use the impact based method to speed up
integration.

Christoph