POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : GL SkySphere : GL SkySphere Server Time
13 Aug 2024 03:10:34 EDT (-0400)
  GL SkySphere
From: Xilo Musimene
Date: 15 May 2003 07:39:42
Message: <3EC37C7A.5070606@hotpop.com>
Hi,
   I rendered a spherical texture for an OpenGL program, I wanted to see
if the perspective would be all right when applied to a sphere in OpenGL.

The povray object is a cube with cylinders at the edges.

You can see that the perspective is pretty right, since the 3 lines are
straight (jaggy but straight).

As for the jaggyness, this is due to the fact that the image is placed
on many triangles which deform the texture to make it fit...

To get rid of the jaggyness I have 3 choices:
   -Pre-deform the texture so it looks correct when deformed (This is
probably the most stupid way)
   -Add a whole lot more polygons until we can't see the deformation
(This would be a good idea but would take a lot of time to render)
   -Try Rohan Bernett's idea to map the SkySphere texture on a cube.
I will try the latter...

First image is a sphere mapped with my skysphere texture in POV-Ray.
Second image is a sphere mapped with my skysphere texture in OpenGL.
Note that angles of camera differ...

--
Dedicated to audio/visual and interactive artwork.
http://www.geocities.com/simonlemieux/

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'pov-skysphere.jpg' (22 KB) Download 'gl-skysphere.jpg' (50 KB)

Preview of image 'pov-skysphere.jpg'
pov-skysphere.jpg

Preview of image 'gl-skysphere.jpg'
gl-skysphere.jpg