POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bug in my code or in trace function? (~60kb) : Re: Bug in my code or in trace function? (~60kb) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 03:12:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug in my code or in trace function? (~60kb)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 May 2003 17:15:21
Message: <3EBD6BE9.BF2D0915@gmx.de>
Xilo Musimene wrote:

> [...]
>
> #declare StartRay = <X,2,Y>;
> #declare SurfaceTouch = StartRay;
> #while(StartRay.y > -1)
>    #declare SurfaceTouch = trace(MyObject, StartRay, <X, -2, Y>);
>
>    #if(SurfaceTouch.x != 0 | SurfaceTouch.y != 0 | SurfaceTouch.z != 0)
>      #write(myFile str(SurfaceTouch.y, 0,3), " ")

Just read the manual.  Apart from that it would also be advisable to check
what the trace function actually returns before jumping to quick
conclusions about bugs.  If you did that you would see that all points
returned by a successful trace (which is tested differently than you do in
your code) are perfectly on the object surface.

I think we should introduce a new rule: everyone who falsely assumes there
is a bug in POV-Ray has to do something unpleasant (like 10 times
rendering the POV-Ray benchmark or so...)

Christoph