POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles : Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:31:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 30 Apr 2003 18:21:12
Message: <3EB04C58.2000004@free.fr>
> Neither, I am talking about the syntax. Something like:
> #persistent Name = Value;
> would be better.

	Agreed.

> If it's going to be implemented, it might as well be done right the
> first time.

	Sure, but you probably know quite well that making something
right the very first time, in software development I mean, is either
a piece of luck, or some good time spent to think of it before (and
nobody can think of everything before actually implementing). Maybe
it's even only utopia  :o)

> Having it be a feature of one type of object is limiting,
> inconsistent, and annoying.

	Yeah. Again I did it for a very specific task. I don't mind
if my patch is not used by anybody but me. I did release it only
because it worked for me, and some (few) found it useful as well.
	In general I perfectly agree with you: to make things as
general as possible, as good as possible. But sometimes it's worth
making some specialized stuff, as a quick working answer to a very
particular situation. I don't intend my little mods to come up into
the official POV anyway...

> And your assumption that people will only
> want meshes to persist is just wrong...tree generators, particle or
> physics simulations, etc.

	Okay, I only have a very narrow usage of POV, that's why I
did not think of what you point out -- who said I'm narrow-minded ?  ;-)

	Sounds like those persistent things will require a completely
new POV4 engine ?

	- NC