POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles : Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:42:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 30 Apr 2003 17:02:08
Message: <3EB039D0.2080508@free.fr>
> Sorry, but that looks like a very bad design. True persistent variables
> would be much cleaner and more useful.

	Do you mean this by looking at the code or just by the fact I did
so on an object basis ? In my patch I only wanted to have something that
works for the particular object I'm using, since in general it did not
work in MegaPOV. In my case it's not meant to be of general use, but of
simple use like a single keyword to add in the object definition.
	My feeling is that essentially only mesh-based objects really
need some persistent feature, since they are usually the largest object
(am I wrong ?) to parse. But I'd be glad if some general solution would
be inplemented in official/unofficial POV. Again the persistent things
in MegaPOV 0.7 were quite buggy, unfortunately.

	And my patch is _definitely_ not of general use, anyway  ;o)