POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : No more motion blur on MegaPov 1.0 ? : Re: No more motion blur on MegaPov 1.0 ? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 03:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: No more motion blur on MegaPov 1.0 ?
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 30 Apr 2003 11:29:21
Message: <3EAFEBD1.2050805@free.fr>
> I, too, have a strong desire for motion_blur. I was greatly disappointed
> when m_b didn't make it into 3.5. I feel that the current version of MegaPov
> (1.0) would be greatly enhanced with m_b, but not everyone agrees,
> obviously.

	Just to discuss a bit about MegaPOV 0.x motion blur, that I never
used myself, unfortunately.

	I guess the implementation and the results obtained using the older
MegaPOV are quite good (and this is why many are missing it). However, as far
as I understood it, the motion blur cannot be used for the camera itself, i.e.
when the camera moves. If one thinks about it, what makes motion blur is a
_camera_ property, not an _object_ property (that is: motion blur comes from
the shutter speed of the camera). I wonder how other ray-tracer implement motion
blur, but I guess it would be a good thing to make it part of the camera
definition. Object would still have some way to tell the camera "hey I'm moving,
so please catch my blur". Somehow I tried this different approach in my small
specialized patch, but here the motion-blur is only possible with a moving camera,
and not (yet) with moving objects. So the problem is equivalent (or even worse).
	If I had time I would like to try to unify the motion blur codes of
the old MegaPOV and those stuffs of my patch, but... that's not possible now.

	Anyway, if someone is ready to put motion blur back to the current
MegaPOV, it will be Good Thing.
	- NC