POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles : Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles Server Time
5 Jul 2024 10:09:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles
From: Ken
Date: 27 Apr 2003 18:21:20
Message: <3EAC57A3.AE871C96@pacbell.net>
Wolfgang Wieser wrote:

> Ken wrote:
>
> > I'm rendering a scene right now that has over 130 million triangles and
> > the parse time for just the mesh include files is about 8 minutes on my
> > 1 ghz machine.
> >
> I cannot imagine that.
> I have to wait >4 minutes to get 1 million triangles parsed
> on a 1.4 GHz box.

Guess I should have put a decimal place in there :) 1.30 million.
What's really going to blow you away is that I have 2000 copies
of those 1.3 million triangles in my scene. You do the math....

> Furthermore, you must have more than 4Gb of virtual memory.

I have 1 gig of physical memory installed and a seperate partition I use
for the swap file that is 1.5 gigs in size. The current scene is using
a bit under 300 megs.

--
Ken Tyler