POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles : Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles Server Time
5 Jul 2024 09:56:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direct Ray Tracing of Displacement Mapped Triangles
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 27 Apr 2003 12:46:37
Message: <3EAC096C.4F3B0866@gmx.de>
Wolfgang Wieser wrote:

> [...]
> Okay, then please give me your advice: How should I set up the scene
> correctly? I'll do just that and we'll see if it looks nice.
>
> I want to animate a space ship which flies to a planet, along a valley
> in the topography and back up into space.

I recently showed some samples of high detail rendering of the earth with
variable level of detail.  See:

Subject: rendering the earth (71k+68k)
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 22:57:55 +0200
From: Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>
Newsgroups: povray.binaries.images

The data the renders are based on would result in ~3.5 billion triangles
when rendered as a whole with a mesh.

You can apply the same method (i.e. rendering a planetary body with an
isosurface defined by image maps, using higher resolution data for the
foreground part and blending with the lower resolution basis using
functions) to any other planet.

Christoph