POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Church finally finished : Re: Church finally finished Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:16:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Church finally finished
From: Ib Rasmussen
Date: 17 Apr 2003 06:00:07
Message: <3E9E7BA2.2000302@ibras.dk>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Well, i was more referring to the way you plan and do your work.

Oh, you mean I should plan my work? I knew I was doing something wrong :)

Well, first I pick a building. It should be something that lends itself
to my csg-only style of modelling. Brick buildings are good - Antonio
Gaudi's buildings are not.

Then I take a lot of photos of it. From the photos I draw up a ground
plan, to get the major dimensions down. With brick building this is
mainly a matter of counting bricks. At this point I usually find that I
don't have photos of all the details I need, so I take some more. (This
normally repeats itself several times during a project. I have taken
over 850 photos for the church scene.)

Once I have the overall dimensions, I may model a crude mock-up, just to
check the proportions, but that was not necessary with the church, since
the bricks gave me precise measurements over most of the building.

Now I divide the building up it some large parts, pick one and start
modelling, more or less from the ground up. Each part is divided into
smaller parts, which are again divided into smaller parts, down to a
level, where it is suitable to model as a unit. Then the parts are
assembled level for level, until assembling the whole building is a
matter of sticking a dozen parts together. Everything is declared,
modelled around origin, and moved to its place during assembly.

I do some loose sketching on paper, but mostly I use a CAD program.
I have done this long enough so I can model simpler stuff with the help
of a few lines on a piece of paper, but more complex stuff, I construct
in 2D in the CAD program, from which I can pull out the dimensions and
coordinates I need for Pov.

Not much to it, really.

/Ib