POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Capriccio v.9 : Re: Capriccio v.9 350 Kb Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:30:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Capriccio v.9 350 Kb
From: Gena Obukhov
Date: 16 Apr 2003 00:48:21
Message: <3E9CDEE2.F517E2CE@mail.com>
Jim Charter wrote:

> Attached is a rendering I did with assumed_gamma 1 and Christoph's
> latest version.  I used the chart in the POV docs and decided that my
> monitor's gamma is 2.6.  So I set this as the display gamma in my master
> ini.  I rendered to a png file and that is what is attached.  Now this
> rendering looks overexposed on my monitor.  Presumably it looks good on
> yours?

It doesn't. I think I see the same as you - overexposed image.
I don't have that clever PNG viewer yet :( It makes sense to use
PNG only if people have gamma-aware viewers. I doubt if anybody
has it.

First of all we have to tune fog. It's too thick right now. The fog
is one of the components in that problem. If you'll render image
without fog it won't be so overexposed.

> To get a rendering that looks nice and saturated and contrasty I need to
> set my display gamma at more like 1.6.  So I am still not clear on
> whether the textures are wrong or if my display gamma value does not
> match the gamma value for my monitor.

That was also confusing to me. Eventually I decided don't use that table
from POV docs but rely completely on my feeelings :) As a result I defined
Display_Gamma as 1.8 instead of 2.2 from that table.

So just use Display_Gamma which suits fine to your feelings :) That's all I
can recommend for now.

Gena.